As part of the club’s theme for 2022, the Hobart Football Club is looking to celebrate and build on “A Great Tradition” that is our club’s history.
Even more on the history of Cananore
Thanks to Matt Cramond
The inscription on the base of the copper name plate sitting on display in the Hobart clubrooms reads as follows. “Charles Edward Walch’s home in Davey Street, Hobart, was named Cananore after his place of birth, Cannanore, a town on the Marabar Coast, Madras Presidency, India. His father, Major J.M Walch was stationed at Cannanore with his regiment, and while there the brothers James and Charles were born. The family, with three sons and two daughters came to settle in Tasmania in 1842.
Charles was then a boy of 12 years of age. Charles subsequently became Superintendent of the Congregational Sunday School, and in 1901 a football team was formed and called Cananore as a tribute to him. The dwelling’s name plate was made in copper by Charles Walch’s niece under the guidance of Mr Dechaineux at the Hobart Technical School and inadvertantly spelt incorrectly omitting one ‘N’.
Cananore, after playing in two junior football associations was admitted to the Tasmanian Football League in 1908 and remained as a Senior Club until the advent of District football at the conclusion of the Second World War.”